The California Ocean Protection Council and the California Ocean Science Trust has invited the public to actively participate in the State’s process to update the State of California Sea-Level Rise Guidance Document, initially adopted in 2010, updated in 2013, and currently in the process of being updated again.
The existing document provides guidance to state agencies for incorporating sea-level rise projections into planning, permitting, investment and other decisions. Now, the California Ocean Protection Council and the California Natural Resources Agency, in collaboration with the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research, the California Energy Commission, and the California Ocean Science Trust, are updating this statewide guidance to reflect recent advances in ice loss science and projections of sea-level rise. The updated guidance will focus on the needs of state agencies and local governments. It will help cities and counties as they comply with a new law that requires them to incorporate climate change into their planning efforts.
To ensure that the updated policy guidance is responsive to user needs, accessible, and presented in a way that serves specific decision and planning processes, the Ocean Science Trust, with support from Ocean Protection Council, has commissioned Dr. Susanne Moser and Climate Access to elicit input from planners and managers of coastal communities and assets. After an initial round of 25 one-on-one interviews to better understand these planning processes, 5 listening sessions will be conducted to learn more from a wider set of stakeholders.
Below, you will find five dates/times for these listening sessions. Each is oriented toward a particular set of planners and managers. A link is provided to register for each listening session. Participation is limited to 30 individuals per session, so please sign up as soon as possible. Space is limited and registrations will be accepted on a first-come-first-serve basis until the number of registration spaces have been filled.
Please register for one of the following listening sessions:
1) Update to the State of California’s Sea-Level Rise Policy Guidance – Listening Session (Water Supply and Quality Management, Stormwater and Sewage Management, and Water-related Infrastructure Investments)
Tuesday April 11th, 12-1:30 PT
2) Update to the State of California’s Sea-Level Rise Policy Guidance – Listening Session (Planning, General/Comprehensive Plans, Local Coastal Programs)
Tuesday April 11, 3:00 – 4:30 PT
3) Update to the State of California’s Sea-Level Rise Policy Guidance – Listening Session (Ecosystem Management, Conservation, Restoration)
Monday April 17, 12:00 – 1:30 PT
4) Update to the State of California’s Sea-Level Rise Policy Guidance – Listening Session (Flood Plain Management/Hazard Mitigation/Emergency Management)
Tuesday April 18, 12:00 – 1:30 PT
5) Update to the State of California’s Sea-Level Rise Policy Guidance – Listening Session (Transportation Planning, Management and Infrastructure)
Tuesday April 18, 3:00 – 4:30 PT